A friend of mine reccommended I watch an anime called “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya” Now, I had heard of this before. I had seen Haruhi fanart across Deviantart before, and she was referenced in Lucky Star, an anime I enjoyed a lot. I figured I might as well watch it, since Haruhi looked like a fun protagonist and I needed some new anime to watch, so I watched the first few episodes.
Unfortunately, I was disappointed. Here are my main reasons why I didn’t enjoy it:
1. I hate Haruhi. Yes, I said it. She is extremely irritating, grumpy and downright too aggressive. I had heard from the start that she was a little strange and had a very eccentric personality, but it was not what I expected at all. I was expecting a fun-loving and hyper kind of weirdo, a bit like Konata from Lucky Star. Instead, she was too aggressive and constantly stripped and forced Mikuru into stupid outfits. I didn’t know if that was supposed to be funny, but I certainly wasn’t laughing. I found it awkward and a little disturbing. It’s a shame, because my first impression of her was she looked like a fun protagonist. But no, I can’t say I like anything about her. I think I prefer Haruhi from Ouran, thanks.
2. Poor Mikuru has to put up with this girl’s torture, and I feel bad for her, but at the same time, her overly sensitive character is annoying. She’s always squealing and crying at something, even in the introduction when she’s bawling like a baby whilst cheerleading. It gets almost as annoying as Haruhi herself. Mikuru needs more backbone, because her overly sweet and delicate character doesn’t make her likable to me either.
3. Seriously, why is Kyon even around these people? He was much better off with his normal high school friends. Why hang around some annoying chick who has serious attitude problems? She may seem like she’d rip your head off your shoulders if you ditch her, but we all know she won’t.
4. The sudden fight scene with Ryoko and Kyon. All I can say is this:
5. So, Yuki (One of the only characters I like, along with Itsuki) is an alien, Mikuru is a time traveller and Itsuki is an esper. Interesting twists, but apart from Yuki (her part was very interesting), they were all too casual! Itsuki tells Kyon over a cup of coffee and Mikuru just happens to mention it at the park. I especially hated Mikuru’s part, as hearing “That information is classified” in her sweet little voice got irritating very fast.
That’s all I have, because I think I stopped watching after the esper episode. I think the only good things I can say about this is Yuki and Itsuki (who I find very good looking, by the way. It’s a shame he’s in such a bad anime) I know I mainly talked about the characters in this, but in my opinion, it’s lovable and memorable characters that play a huge part in a good anime (along with a good story of course), which is what my favorites all have. Haruhi Suzumiya just doesn’t have that kind of connection with characters, making it difficult for me to get into the story.
Anyway, that’s all I have to say, so I’m going to end this with Itsuki, because you know, he’s perfect.